News

/News/

Anglers Access flood damage update – By IFS

We’ve now looked at most of the Anglers Access sites. There is major damage in the Leven and Mersey catchments and minor damage on the other northern rivers. Many stiles and signs are damaged or missing and fences destroyed.

Fortunately, footbridges and many stiles have survived although they are covered in debris.

Due to the bad damage to river banks, bridges and roads in the Leven and Mersey catchments it is unlikely we will be able to make repairs before the opening of the season on the 6th August. Many access sites are unsafe due to debris, erosion and large machinery being used by landowners and other Government departments for repairs.

Anglers should stay away from these areas during rebuilding and pay attention to closure signs and safety warnings – landowners need time and space to get their farms back up and running without worrying about anglers.

We hope the repairs will be completed on the Meander, Macquarie, North Esk and Lake rivers and Brumbys Creek before the opening of the season, so long as the weather allows and there is no more flooding. Work on the South Esk Anglers Access project will be put on hold until repairs are complete.

Anglers wishing to help with the rebuild are invited to contact BlazeAid – a volunteer organisation that works in rural areas after floods and fires rebuilding fences and other structures. While the help may not be targeted at Anglers Access infrastructure it will be on areas affected by the floods including many properties with Anglers Access agreements. For more information go to www.blazeaid.com , email [email protected] or [email protected]

Article originally published on www.ifs.tas.gov.au

Anglers Access flood damage update – By IFS 2016-10-27T17:25:54+00:00

AAT GM May 2016

ANGLERS ALLIANCE TASMANIA

MINUTES OF THE GENERAL MEETING

10am Sunday 29 May 2016, Man O’Ross Hotel, Ross

Present
Gary France Chair, Terry Byard Vice Chair, Mike Stevens Exec Committee, Malcolm Crosse Exec Committee, John Broomby Exec Committee, Bruce Gilham Corralinn FFCA, Howard Jones BOD Sports Anglers, Alan Gordon BOD Sports Anglers, Michael Caminada Independent North, Keith Symons Independent South, Adrian Hope Tas FFA, Charles Thompson NWFA , Bruce Heathcote NWFA, Corey Harris FFCT, Gary Long FFCT, Denis Edwards Exec Officer, John Diggle Director IFS, Eric Hutchinson MP, Marcos Ambrose Thousand Lakes Lodge.
Apologies
Sheryl Thompson

Talk by Marcos Ambrose

Marcos Ambrose, one of the partners in the Thousand Lakes Lodge project, gave a very informative talk on what is planned for the transformation of Bernacchi Lodge to the Thousand Lakes Lodge. The nine bedroom $1.3million Lodge will provide a very comfortable base to explore the Central Plateau area of the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area. It will open in October 2016 , details on www.thousandlakeslodge.com.au

Minutes of previous meeting
Motion: “to accept the minutes of the previous meeting held 28 Feb 2016 at the Great Lake Community Hall”
Moved: B Gilham Seconded: T Byard

Matters arising

H Jones suggested that the EPA response to a letter from the BOD Sports Anglers be emailed to the Committee.
J Broomby raised the possibility of a feasibility study into raising the water level of Four Springs Lake.
T Byard suggested that the proposed Constitution amendment as advised and approved at the last GM be incorporated into the Constitution. Approved.

Financials
The Financial statement was tabled showing that at the 17 May 2016
AAT Westpac TRADING A/C 17-1550 $ 4,220.44 CR

AAT Westpac GRANT A/C 47-7934 $ 5,900.43 CR

AAT Westpac WEBCAM A/C 47-7854 $ 750.01 CR

HOF MyState A/C 7273178 $ 880.45 CR
Motion : “That the Financial Statement be accepted”
Moved: K Symons Seconded: A Hope

Webcams sponsorship
T Byard reported that the Exec Committee’s presentation to Tourism Tas for major sponsorship for the webcams was well received and the outcome will be known shortly.

A letter to Telstra’s Executive Director of Small Business seeking sponsorship of data costs was tabled.

M Crosse is to have discussions with M Ambrose on sponsorship to explore the possibility of relocating the Augusta Lake webcam to Thousand Lake Lodge.

Inland Fisheries Service Report
The full report is available on the AAT website www.anglersalliance.org.au

John Diggle tabled the comprehensive IFS Report that included the following —
Low lake levels
Boating on Penstock and Little Pine
Arthurs Lake fishery performance
Talbots Lagoon access
Brushy Lagoon bridge replacement
World Fly Fishing Championships 2019
IFAC report
Licencing and Administration
Legislation
Native Fish Conservation
Anglers access
Carp report
Southern Fisheries Enhancement
Hatchery and Stocking
Compliance
IFS attendances at Club events, meetings and dinners

Matters arising from IFS Report
AAT to write to Parks thanking them for their efforts on the Brushy Lagoon bridge replacement.
Fisheries Habitat Fund – write to Eric Hutchinson.
IFS Open Weekend , any ideas for kids or adult activities welcomed by the IFS.
AAT to inform clubs of dates for MAST 2017 RBF meetings.
The carp virus due to be released on the mainland in 2018 is unsuitable for cooler waters of Lake Sorell (<15*C). Brief discussion on Mersey River management for the WFFC 2019 A Gordon raised the possibility of a fish trap on waters feeding Huntsman Dam. World Fly Fishing Championships Tasmania 2019
M Crosse who is Fly Fish Australia’s Tasmanian organiser, showed the video that formed part of the successful Australian bid for the 2019 World Championship. With 500-600 anglers from 80 odd countries involved, Malc. suggested that it is a great opportunity to procure Federal money for infrastructure such as roads, toilets etc.

DPIPWE Meeting
T Byard discussed an interesting presentation to the Exec Committee from Dr Martin Read of the DPIPWE which discussed the water management, environmental flows and extreme dry conditions. Items covered were the needs of aquatic environment and other users (anglers) in determining water allocations, determination and implementation of environmental flows and the Ministerial Policy on Extreme Dry Conditions.
AAT discussed the need for fishing to be better recognised and the importance of the 2019 World Fly Fishing Championships to be held in Tas. in 2019.

It was suggested at the meeting that AAT engage more with landholders on riparian and water quality issues and that a pilot program could be undertaken with a local NRM on a water with an existing Anglers Access.

Proposed IFS Regulation changes
Proposed amendments to the Inland Fisheries Regulations were tabled and included –
. Amending the minimum legal size for fish at Pioneer Lake, South Riana Dam and Talbots Lagoon to 300mm length.
. Amending the maximum legal size for fish at Pioneer Lake, South Riana Dam, Talbots Lagoon, Big Waterhouse Lagoon and Little Waterhouse Lagoon to; two fish only over 500mm length.
. Amending the bag limit to five fish at Pioneer Lake, South Riana Dam, Talbots Lagoon and the South Esk River.
· Prohibit fishing at all times within waters flowing into Talbots Lagoon.
· Limit fishing times to one hour before sunrise to three hours after sunset at South Riana Dam and Talbots Lagoon.
It was unanimously resolved by members that the amendments should be adopted.

Penstock/Little Pine boating proposals
The results of the Trout Weekend questionaire on the proposals was tabled showing that of the 65 responses 59 were in favour and 6 in the negative.
B Gilham reported that the Corralinn FFCA had only one objection to the proposals
C Harris reported that the FFCT supported the proposals in principal but have some matters of detail they would like to be explored further.
A discussion followed on safety issues, speed restrictions and legislation, number and colour of bouys, width of corridor, education, implementation, funding, etc.
It was decided that the matter would be reassessed once the remainder of club responses have been received and all present thought the recommendations should be in the IFS Code.

Mersey Forth Recreational Management Committee
John Broomby the AAT delegate to this Committee presented a comprehensive report on Committee activity, including the promised replacement boat ramp on Lake Barrington and further progress on Lake Paloona access with an estimated project cost of $350 to $400,000.
N Morrow and J Broomby moved that the Management Committee approach Kentish Council to support a $20,000 feasibility study to report on opening up access to Lake Paloona by constructing a road off Devils Gate Road. The Committee will write to all stakeholders to request their views prior to approaching Kentish Council.

Toilets
Based on a simple pump out system used by the Highlands Council at Derwent Bridge the indicative costing of toilets proposed for Highland Lakes would be approx. $15,000 -$20,000. Penstock, Little Pine and Bronte have been identified as the most urgent with Sorell, Woods, Four Springs , and perhaps Mackintosh in need of facilities as well.
If all were included that gives a project estimate of some $140,000, which would possibly need Federal funding.
Matters to be worked through include maintenance (perhaps by Councils) and ownership, eg Hydro, Forico .

Junior Angling Day
Following last years success it is proposed to run this event statewide again in 2016 with the proposed date of Sun 16 Oct.
Some alternate venues were suggested such as Old Mac’s Farm and Corralinn.
Exec Committee to start planning for the event.

Correspondence
Brushy Lagoon Bridge Letter from Westbury Fishing Club to Minister expressing concern at the lack of access was tabled. Discussion indicated that Parks are providing a temporary bridge until a replacement is built.
Meander River Letter from Quamby FFC was tabled concerning possible management options to improve the fishing experience on the Meander during the World Fly Fishing Championships in 2019. John Diggle indicated that the IFS does not think that stocking of adult fish into the Meander is warranted at this time. Consideration of trapping fish from the inflowing streams to the Huntsman is considered too difficult due to the large flashy flows in the catchment. The IFS may be able to coordinate some electro fishing surveys with Quamby members next summer to confirm the state of the population in the river.
Letter from Bill Beck regarding Penstock and Little Pine boating proposals was tabled and his comments will inform any reassessment of the proposals.
Letter from AAT to IFS tabled requesting a microbenthic fauna survey on Arthurs Lake together with the IFS reply that such a study would not provide a reason for, or a solution to the problem at Arthurs Lake.
Bushfest An invitation for AAT to participate again this year, 19th and 20th Nov 2016.
Fish Farms One perspective on overseas fish farms

General Business
Eric Hutchinson MP expressed his thanks for being invited to the meeting and indicated the Governments strong support for the 2019 World Fly Fishing Championships in Tas. He suggested that all funding opportunities should be explored to upgrade and provide infrastructure that will be beneficial to the long term interests of anglers.
J Broomby suggested that the Lake Rowallan boat ramp needs remedial work and this should be done under the RBF.
A Hope expressed his disappointment that Lake Naomi and Lake Olive in the TWWHA are now accessible by 4WD.
Adrian suggested that a dedicated fire fighting team for the Highlands and TWWHA would be good idea, if funds were available.
G Long suggested that while the dams are at low levels it is a great opportunity to remove boulders from boatramps.
Gary also mentioned leaking irrigation pipes at the Arthurs Dam wall. AAT to report to Irrigation Tas/Hydro

NEXT MEETING is the AGM on Sun 21 Aug 2016


ACTION LIST

Exec Committee Boating Proposals Penstock/Little Pine

Toilets including Dago Point , persue possible Federal money sources meet with Eric Hutchinson to discuss.

River Health Pilot project with NRM/landowners

HOF Selection criteria

Bushfest

Junior Angling Day

MC/DE Telstra sponsorship for webcams

DE Brushy Lagoon bridge, letter of thanks to Parks
Fisheries Habitat Fund, write to Eric Hutchinson
Proposed Regs, write to IFS
Forward EPA reply to H Jones to Committee
Arthurs, leaking pipes contact Irrig Tas / Hydro
Boat ramps rocks , contact N Morrow
Reply to Quamby FFC letter
Constitution ammendment

AAT GM May 2016 2016-10-27T17:25:54+00:00

Tasmania to host World Fly Fishing Championships 2019

Yesterday I received notice from FIPS Mouche that Fly Fish Australia Inc. has been successful in its bid to host the 2019 World Fly Fishing Championships.

From the FIPS Mouche General assembly in Setubal Portugal we received ”congratulations on the fine video presentation which hugely impressed the delegates present – from 19 countries.” The vote to hold the event was unanimous with many other non-attending proxy votes being cast in favour of Tasmania.

This will mean Tasmania will again be able to showcase ourselves to an international audience of most of the world’s best fly fishers.
For all the Government departments , businesses and other organisations who have indicated their intentions to be involved in this event the process from here will be that an organising committee will be formed by Fly Fish Australia Inc.to manage the event and they will be in contact to discuss the management of this Championship in due course.

If there any questions or if more information is required at this early stage on the event I have been authorised by Fly Fish Australia Inc. to speak on its behalf.

Thank you all so much for your help and assistance to date .

Malcolm Crosse
Fly Fish Australia.

See the video here http://youtu.be/-ZnzySB8O1c/?rel=0

Tasmania to host World Fly Fishing Championships 2019 2016-04-28T08:32:05+00:00

AAT General Meeting 28/2/2016

MINUTES OF THE GENERAL MEETING
10am Sunday 28 Feb 2016, Great Lake Community Hall

Present
Gary France Chair, Terry Byard Vice Chair, Mike Stevens Exec Committee, Malcolm Crosse Exec Committee, John Broomby Exec Committee, Bruce Gilham Corralinn FFCA, Howard Jones BOD Sports Anglers, Alan Gordon BOD Sports Anglers, Michael Caminada Independent North, Keith Symons Independent South, Adrian Hope Tas FFA, Charles Thompson NWFA , Sheryl Thompson NWFA, Denis Edwards Exec Officer, John Diggle Director IFS, Dr Sarah Richards EPA, Nathan Green Lester Franks, Phil Potter and Peter Golding

Apologies
Phil Williams

Presentation by Dr Sarah Richards EPA
Dr Sarah Richards gave an informative presentation that included the EPA and IFS review of inland fish farms in 2015, an overview of the legislation relevant to inland fish farms, river health and fish farms and the reporting of environmental complaints.
The review of the 14 inland flow through fish farms found –

• Inconsistent environmental regulation and with some farms having no environmental conditions
• Some farms had inadequate effluent treatment
• In periods of low river flows some farms are likely to cause impacts to rivers – such as excessive algal growth
• More information is needed for most farms to set discharge limits to protect water quality
• Recommendation has been made to the Minister for policy development to address these issues
The presentation also gave an overview of river health and fish farms and the effects of elevated nutrient levels in the farm discharge waters and what environmental conditions can aggravate these effects.

Presentation by Nathan Green of Lester Franks Survey & Geographic P/L
Nathan outlined his companies proposal to produce bathymetric (underwater topographic) maps of the more popular Tasmanian lakes and rivers.
The maps would include bottom composition and vegetation, be compatible with most recreational depth sounders and be available in chart form as well as online and mobile apps. The online and mobile apps would be available for between $4 to $30 depending on the number of subscribers.
The proposal received a very positive response from all present.

Minutes of previous meeting
Motion: “to accept the minutes of the meeting held 8 Nov 2015 at Man O‘Ross Hotel, Ross”
Moved: T Byard Seconded: K Symons

Matters arising
David Ikedife from Hydro to be invited to AAT meetings.
HOF Committee tabled proposed selection criteria for consideration by Exec Committee.

Financials

Financial statement was tabled showing that at 26 Feb 2016

AAT Westpac TRADING A/C 17-1550 $ 3,434.22 CR

AAT Westpac GRANT A/C 47-7934 $ 12,314.11 CR

HOF MyState A/C 727 3178 $ 904.45 CR

AAT WEBCAM A/C is in the process of being set up

Motion: “That the Financial Statement be accepted”
Moved: S Thompson Seconded: M Stevens

Inland Fisheries Service Report full report is available on AAT website

John Diggle tabled the comprehensive “new look” IFS Report that included the following –
Low lake levels
Angling pressure at Penstock and Little Pine Lagoons
Arthurs Lake fishery performance, IFS is reviewing all data and will publish results on the IFS website in March 2016.
Fisheries non-compliance
Talbots Lagoon Anglers Access
IFAC new appointments
Legislation. Policy and Native Fish Conservation
Policy Matters
Native Fish Conservation
Anglers Access including Talbots, South Riana Dam, Low lake level boat access, Clean Up
Australia Day
Carp Report
Compliance Report
Prosecutions
IFS attendances at Club events, meetings and dinners

Matters arising from IFS Report
H Jones questioned what future planning does Hydro have for future predicted low rainfalls.
M Stevens suggested there is a need for further studies to be done on macrobenthic fauna population in Arthurs Lake and Great Lake, similar to W Fultons 1981 thesis, to establish baseline data; this was supported by the AAT Committee.
M Stevens suggested eel traps could be better marked.

Webcams
M Crosse tabled analytics that showed webcam hits have doubled over the last two years and for the last six months have averaged 420 hits/day that is 2,940 hits/ week or 153,200 hits/year.
This gives a great platform to find a major sponsor and Red Jelly have been engaged to produce a marketing strategy to achieve this.
BOM is keen to have weather stations on the webcams and further talks will be had to see what funding is available for the estimated cost of $25,000.

Meeting with Minister
T Byard reported that the Exec Committees first meeting with Minister Jeremy Rockliff went very well, covering a wide range of concerns and aspirations in the 30 minutes available.
The ground has been laid for ongoing dialogue in future regular meetings with the Minister.

Penstock and Little Pine Lagoons
A number of letters from individuals and clubs were tabled expressing concern at the increased number and size of boats using these shallow lagoons causing damaging the floor and weed beds of the lagoons.
The trial Boating Corridor at Penstock has not resulted in the changed behaviour or boating practices that were hoped for, and with the IFS prediction of increased boating activity on these small shallow lagoons, the need for better boating control to prevent further degradation is urgently needed.

The following proposals, to be recommended to IFS for necessary regulation and legislation change, were unanimously supported –

Penstock Lagoon
1. Reinstate the Corridor for combustion/outboard motors to the previous alignment, some 20 -25 m wide, using posts or buoys as markers.
2. Space the markers at 100m intervals.
3. Boats outside of this corridor to be electric or manual powered only.
4. Reduce the speed limit to 3 knots (5.5 kmh) to avoid pre- planing turbulence and large wakes

Little Pine Lagoon
1. Corridor to be installed from boat ramp to a longitudinal corridor in the middle of the lagoon.
2. The longitudinal Corridor to terminate at existing dam marker buoys in the south, and to the north, a line level with the north end of Bertrams Island
3. Boats outside the Corridors and to the north of Bertrams Island to be electric or manual powered only
4. Reduce the speed limit to 3 knots (5.5 kmh) to avoid pre- planing turbulence and largewakes.

In addition a comprehensive education program should be implemented and signage placed at boat ramps.

Four Springs proposal to raise water level
J Broomby tabled a proposal from the Westbury Fishing Club to initiate a feasibility study into the possibility of raising the level of Four Springs Lake by some 250 to 300mm.
The following points need consideration –
1. IFS would have to be sure that higher levels would benefit the lake ecology ie water
temperature, weed growth, fish habitat etc.
2. Lake area owned by Crown but could encroach on Forico land with the bigger area.
3. Dam wall built to contain 50 year flood, new requirement is for 100year flood.
4. Who pays for feasibility study ?
5. Would existing infrastructure have to be altered ?

Leven River grant application
A funding application has been lodged with Cradle Coast NRM for riparian restoration works near the new steel foot bridge at Hobbs Bridge. If successful volunteers, from local clubs, to assist with the works would be appreciated.

Constitution amendment
T Byard tabled a proposed amendment to Cl 5(c) of the Constitution “ that independent angler representatives shall not be members of or aligned with any club or group”
Cl 5(c) to be –
“The Alliance is responsible for securing regional independent angler representatives through a public process. This may require consideration of regional press options. Independent angler representatives shall not be members of or aligned with any angling club or group.

If there is only one nomination for an independent angler representative position then that nomination can be approved by the membership at either a General Meeting or an AGM. If there is more than one nomination for an independent angler representative position, a ballot for the position will need to be conducted. Independent angler representatives will be deemed appointed as members of the Alliance for a period of two years after which they are eligible for re-appointment by the membership.”
T Byard moved that this be adopted. Seconded A Hope. Carried

Correspondence
Hydro Lagoon Water Levels AAT’s response to Hydro’s request for preferred water levels over the angling season and water management issues at Bronte, Little Pine, Penstock and Lake St Clair Lagoons.

Russell River AAT’s letter to Minister Rockliff and his reply on complaints about the Russell River hatchery.

Dago Point AAT’s letter to Minister Groom and his reply on the re-commissioning of the Dago Point toilets and removal of noxious weeds in the area.

Forico AAT’s reply to Forico’s request for stakeholder input for their derogation application for the use of alpha-cypermenthrin.
Lake Barrington Letter from Mersey Forth Recreation Management Committee on operating levels at Lake Barrington.

General Business
M Crosse indicated that it looks highly likely that the 2019 World Fly Fishing Championships will be held in Tasmania, the decision will be made by FIPS Mouche, the International Fly Fishing Federation, in Portugal on 15 April 2016.
Toilets The issue of toilets at Dago Point and boat ramps to followed up.
M Stevens reported that Bernacchi Lodge is being completely refurbished and will soon be available for hire of accommodation, conference rooms etc
T Byard suggested it is time to re-visit the AAT Code of Practice.

NEXT MEETING Sun 1 May possibly in the NW ?

ACTION LIST
Exec Committee Penstock and Little Pine
Proposal to IFS/MAST/Hydro on boating regulations

Webcams
Meet with BOM to discuss weather stations on webcam sites
Presentation with Red Jelly to major sponsor for webcams
Submission to MAST/IFS/Hydro for webcam sponsorship
Follow up other possible sponsors

HOF
Review selection criteria

Toilets at boat ramps
Develop a costed proposal for possible funding application.
GF Invite Forico to next GM

DE Invite David Ikedife to GM’s
Site visit with TByard/Hydro to Lake St Clair Lagoon
Letter to Parks/MAST re boat ramp at Lake St Clair
Support letter to MAST for Lester Franks for bathymetric charts

AAT General Meeting 28/2/2016 2016-10-27T17:25:54+00:00

Arthurs Lake

Hydro have informed AAT that the earthworks that are currently being undertaken at the irrigation outlet are to allow Tasmanian Irrigation (TI) to access water down to 947.5 m, which is the agreed cease to take level. When construction was originally being undertaken by TI, water levels in the lake were high (only a few cm off spill), and as a result excavation works on the intake could not be completed. Water levels in the lake are now lower allowing TI to complete this work.

Arthurs Lake 2016-01-19T15:21:31+00:00