News

/News

Recommended Boating Use for Penstock and Little Pine Lagoons

Last week, IFS and AAT staff ,with buoys kindly supplied by MAST, set up the recommended outboard motor corridor for Penstock Lagoon and the recommended outboard motor free zone at Little Pine Lagoon.  Boat users are asked to familiarize themselves with these arrangements to help protect the fragile weed beds which characterize these shallow lagoons.  Details of the arrangements are contained in the 2017/18 Angling Code, on signposting at Penstock Boat Ramp and soon at the ramp at Little Pine.  The Penstock Anglers Access Brochure includes details of the outboard motor corridor and the Little Pine Access Brochure will be amended in due course.  Additionally, Anglers Alliance has produced a detailed flyer which will be distributed at the boat ramps by IFS Fisheries Officers.

DOWNLOAD MAPS HERE

 

 

 

Recommended Boating Use for Penstock and Little Pine Lagoons 2017-08-08T13:41:08+00:00

South Esk River Anglers Access Project

The South Esk River Anglers Access project has been successfully completed by the IFS with a $60,000 grant to the AAT from the Tasmanian Community Fund; it was launched by Minister Rockliff on Sat 5th August 2017 on the river at Hadspen . The brochure is can be downloaded from the AAT and IFS websites.

Download the access map here.

South Esk River Anglers Access Project 2017-08-07T20:47:23+00:00

Great Lake Tie-In

Saturday14th Oct 2017 9am to 4pm
Great Lake Community Hall

Join Fly Tyers from around the State demonstrating the Art of Fly Tying.
See displays of:

Kids tying table ( come and see 10 year old Kobie Lambert, a wiz kid of Fly Tying )

Rod Building
Entomology
Material Dying Demonstration
Photography exhibit
Belt buckle art
Taxidermy
Trade tables
IFS – MAST –  2019 World Fly Fishing Champion to be held Tasmania

Entry by Gold Coin –  Food and Drink will be available
please contact Graham Blight for any more information
[email protected]

Great Lake Tie-In 2017-07-19T19:48:37+00:00

Masters Games News & Information

Download information about the Master Games here.

 

The Masters Games needs a note –  Volunteer Controllers are needed for this event , if you are interested please contact:

Adrian Hope 0417 136 959
Wayne Bellette 0418 138 672
or Malcolm Crosse 0429 870 550

Masters Games News & Information 2017-07-19T19:49:28+00:00

Fishers 4 Fish Habitat

Better Habitat = Better Fishing

Don’t miss this unique opportunity to hear from local, state and interstate experts about the importance of fish habitat, and how you can get involved in hands-on, local projects to improve fish habitat.

WHEN: Saturday August 19th, 2017, 9:30am – 4:00pm.
WHERE: The Grange, 4 Commonwealth Lane, Campbell Town.
RSVP: Contact NRM North Administration (03 6333 7777); [email protected]). *Places are limited and registration (including any dietary requirements) is essential by Friday August 11th.
COST: FREE. Morning tea, lunch and transport to visit a field site are included.
*Please bring suitable clothing and footwear.

Download Flyer Here

Fishers 4 Fish Habitat 2017-07-19T19:27:58+00:00

AAT Minutes General Meeting May 2017

10am Sunday 28 May 2017

Man O’Ross Hotel, Ross 

 

Present

Gary France Chair, Terry Byard Vice Chair, Malcolm Crosse Exec Committee John Broomby Exec Committee , Charles Thompson NWFA, Bruce Heathcote NWFA, Kerry Hays Penguin Anglers Club, Howard Jones BOD Sports Anglers, Alan Gordon BOD Sports Anglers, Bruce Gilham Corralin FF and Casting Assoc, John Francis  STLAA, Keith Symons Indep South, Roger Butler TGALT, Denis Edwards Exec Officer, Chris Colley Parks and Wildlife, Tim Farrell IFS

 

Apologies

Adrian Hope, Michael Caminada, Wayne Ballette

 

Minutes of  previous meeting and matters arising

Motion : “to accept the minutes of the previous meeting held on 26 Feb 2017 at the Great Lake Community Centre”

Moved : Terry Byard    Seconded : John Broomby

 

Matters arising :

J Broomby in enquired on the progress of the bumper stickers

J Broomby reported that Hydro have still to make a decision on the possible use of Paloona

M Crosse objected to the need for a Parks Pass to fish in National Parks

C Thompson reported that proposed new roads at Lake Lea to access private land will not offer access to a possible boat ramp

 

Financials

The bank balances for all AAT accounts were tabled showing the balances at 26 May were :

 

GRANT A/C             037-001 477934                                                  $8,471.84

 

HOF A/C                037-010 259330                                                     $   736.61

 

TRADING A/C        037-009 171550                                                   $6,527.41

 

WEBCAM A/C       037-010 259322                                                    $2,804.39

 

With the $60,000 South Esk Anglers Access project almost complete the grant account will be fully expended and replaced by the $52,800 grant for toilets at Penstock and Bronte.

 

Motion :  “That the financial statement be accepted”

Moved :    R Butler     Seconded : M Crosse

 

TWWHA

Chris Colley, Regional Manager North, Parks and Wildlife Service gave an informative review of the TWWHA Management Plan.

Aircraft are excluded from the Nineteen Lagoons which is a Recreation Zone and also the Wilderness Zone; however there is provision for landing in the Visitor Service Zones , Recreation Zones and up to five landing sites in the Self-Reliant Recreation Zone – all subject to certain conditions. See zoning map attached.

All EOI proposals go through the Co-ordinator General’s office and face rigorous environmental impact studies prior to approval. Parks know of no proposals to date.

A suggested Code of Practice for aircraft movement by John Broomby was tabled and led to discussion of desirable outcomes.

Chris Colley suggested that AAT make representation to the General Manager of Parks to seek input into the review process for any EOI’s .

 

Inland Fisheries Service Report

Tim Farrell presented a comprehensive report which is available on the AAT website

The report included the following :

Trout Weekend report

Spawning run

Successful Community Infrastructure Fund projects

Carp management program and Carp Workshop report

South Esk Anglers Access will be open for 2017-18 season

RBF applications

River Leven willow removal

Four Springs maintenance and angling platform

Continued flood damage repair to anglers access

Navigation lights repairs

Native fish conservation

Pest fish

Compliance report

Hatchery and Stocking

 

Tasmanian Inland Recreation Fisheries Management Plan 2018- 28

Tim Farrell tabled an Issues Paper and explained the rationale behind it was to simplify regulation and to consult more widely. Comments from clubs or individuals need to in by

16 June for consideration in the Draft 2018-28 Plan due out in August 2017.

email  [email protected]

The following proposals were discussed :

The three management classes for the fishery

Proposed changes to bag limits on rivers and lakes

Stocking policy

Possible additional ‘all year” waters

Regulatory changes during the 2008-18 Plan to be included

 

Masters Games

Malcolm Crosse discussed the possible venues and logistics and requested that the Games be advertised on the AAT website with the need for controllers especially from NW Clubs

 

Bronte water levels

Hydro and IFS are working on an agreement for an MOU.

AAT to raise members concerns at their meeting with Hydro on 31 May

 

World Fly Fishing Championships

Malcolm Crosse gave a rundown on organisational matters including transport, possible venues, number of participants, accommodation, budget, sponsors, and the opportunity to push the Tasmanian fishery.

Volunteers are needed as controllers at the five venues with possibly one club adopting one  venue – ie five clubs needed.

A new webpage on the AAT site to be developed with a link to the World Fly Fishing Championships website- Fuji Xerox have offered to do the artwork.

A fund raising raffle will run for 3years and this could also be advertised on the AAT website

 

AAT Strategic Plan 2018-25

Terry Byard reported that the Exec Committee weekend workshop on the 6-7 May at Malcolm Crosses Penstock shack was successful and that the draft plan will be presented at the next GM

 

Fisheries Habitat

Gary France flagged a future forum on fisheries habitat and performance to be held on Sat 19 Aug 2017 at Campbell Town – details available shortly.

 

Bronte webcam sponsorship

Email from Devonport Fly Fishing Club wanting to co-sponsor the Bronte webcam with Kingborough Anglers Association – Kingborough to advise AAT

 

St Clair Lagoon

T Byard and D Edwards to meet on site with Hydro and IFS on Wed 31 to discuss water level regime in the lagoon

 

General Business

Howard Jones extended an invitation to all freshwater clubs to take part in the Break O’Day Sports Anglers Challenge at St Helens Sat/Sun 17-18 June. ph 0409 969 895 for details.

John Francis inquired how the proposed toilets would be serviced and maintained and it was suggested by Roger Butler that relevant government entities could contribute to a  corporate fund for toilet maintenance.

Howard Jones contention that an un-sustainable amount of water is being used for irrigation

led to a discussion on river degradation caused by the need for large quantities of fertilisers on irrigated low fertility soils, herbicide/pesticide runoff, dairy effluent etc , the need for water management plans on rivers and a means of AAT involvement with the EPA.

Terry Byard suggested that with the difficulty of getting an independent representative from the NW it may be necessary not to tie the three indep. reps to a particular geographic area.ry France suggested to try the NW on Facebook before any changes are made.

Bruce Heathcote discussed the cost of and alternate ways to service lifejackets.

Malcolm Crosse suggested that the Great Lake Fly Tie- In at the Great Lake Community Centre on Sat 14 Oct be advertised on the AAT website, and that the AAT had been invited to have a stall at the event.

 

 

 

ACTION LIST

AAT Executive      Strategy Plan 2018-25

Include catch and release in Code of Practise

Toilet maintenance funding

 

DE                        Letter to Parks seeking TWWHA EIO evaluation representation

Email IFS Management Plan to clubs

Set up web page for World FF Championships

Boating Proposals brochure for Penstock and Little Pine, contact MAST

about laying bouys

VHF details on website

 

 

NEXT MEETING     10 am Sunday 13 Aug 2017

 

 

 

AAT Minutes General Meeting May 2017 2017-07-19T19:31:38+00:00

Grant for Penstock and Bronte Toilets

AAT has been successful with a $48,000 grant from the Community Infrastructure Fund for the construction of toilets at Penstock and Bronte Lagoons. This project should be completed during the 2017/18 fishing season.
Grant for Penstock and Bronte Toilets 2017-05-04T22:44:56+00:00

AAT Minutes – General Meeting Feb 2017

MINUTES OF THE GENERAL MEETING

10am Sunday 26 February 2017

Great Lake Community Centre

 

Present

Gary France Chair, Terry Byard Vice Chair, Malcolm Crosse Exec Committee John Broomby Exec Committee Michael Caminada Independent North & Exec Committee Charles Thompson NWFA, Terry Hayes Penguin Anglers Club, Howard Jones BOD Sports Anglers, Alan Gordon BOD Sports Anglers, Bruce Gilham Corralin FF and Casting Assoc, Wayne Bellette Tas Fly Tyers Club,  Adrian Hope TFFA, Robert Chandler Huon Licensed Anglers Assoc, Denis Edwards Exec Officer, John Diggle Director IFS , Minister Guy Barnett

 

Apologies

Mike Stevens, John Francis, Keith Symons, Sheryl Thompson

 

Minutes of previous meeting and matters arising

Motion: “to accept the minutes of the previous meeting held on 27 Nov 2016 at Clarendon House, Evandale”

Moved:  Gary France       Seconded: Terry Byard

 

Inland Fisheries Service Report

John Diggle tabled a comprehensive report which is available on the AAT website

The report included the following :

The photographic Competition to be held on Trout Weekend 20/21 May 2017. Entries close 28 April and entry forms on IFS website.

Clarence Lagoon – track has been cleared feedback on Brook trout catches would be appreciated

Water quality Penstock and Little Pine Lagoons

Anglers Access Road improvements to Woods Lake, Lake Echo, Clarence Lagoon

South Esk

Flood damage update

River Leven willow removal

Talbots Lagoon gauging board

Native Fish Conservation

Pest Fish in Mersey, Pipers River and Tamar

Electrofishing surveys

Compliance

Carp Management Program

Hatchery and Stocking

Club events, meetings and dinners

Entry Form for Photography Competition

World Fly Fishing Championships Tasmania 2019

Malcolm Crosse outlined the logistics of this huge event with teams coming from 30 countries to be housed, fed and transported to venues.

The large expense to run the event and therefor the importance of sponsorships was stressed as was the need for volunteer controllers etc.

Minister Barnett suggested that the complexities of the organising task need an Executive Officer that should be funded by the Government. To this end it was suggested that Malcolm arrange a meeting with IFS, Tourism Tas and the Government.

A plan of expenditure required for the next 3 years to be done by Malcolm and Gary France

Discussion with Minister Barnett

A discussion was had on the Carp eradication program and Minister Barnett suggested that AAT write a letter of support to Federal Govt requesting funding extension for carp program of $275K for two years

Minister Barnett discussed what a great asset the unique Tasmanian wild brown trout fishery and environment is and that every advantage should be taken to promote the fishery and leverage funding opportunities that the 2019 World Fly Fishing Championships will present.

Minister Barnett suggested an information day be held in Parliament House in conjunction with IFS and Tourism Tas to inform politicians with videos , casting demonstrations etc

A brief discussion was had on poor water quality and natural flows in rivers.

The effect on rivers, with hatcheries, of the proposed increased salmon production was discussed and J Diggle explained that there are new regulations in place.

J Diggle suggested that Trout Weekend be used for publicity

 

Financials

The bank balances for all AAT accounts were tabled showing balances at 24Feb 2017:

 

GRANT ACCOUNT       037-001 477934                                            $16,401.76

 

HOF  ACCOUNT           037-010 259330                                            $     736.43

 

TRADING ACCOUNT   037-009 171550                                             $  6,371.74

 

WEBCAMS                 037-010 259322                                              $  2,635.20

The webcam sponsorships are now sufficient to cover all webcam costs. However increasing AAT activities will lead to a shortfall of funds (Trading a/c) and a strategy must be devised to deliver further funds.

Motion: “That the financial statement be accepted”

Moved:   M Crosse     Seconded: J Broomby

 

Hall of Fame

Letters of resignation from Sheryl Thompson, Chair of the Anglers Hall of Fame, and Ray Aitchison, Anglers Hall of Fame Committee were tabled. Terry Byard moved a motion “ that the AAT Executive and Members thank Sheryl and Ray for their work over the last two and a half years in the very difficult task of successfully resurrecting the Anglers Hall of Fame”

The motion was seconded by Adrian Hope

Nominations: A nomination for the HOF, from Charles Peck, for Jim Ferrier has been received, but on consulting the records it appears he was inducted into the HOF in 2004 and therefor the nomination is redundant

 

TWWHA

Copies of the TWWHA Management Plan were tabled and concern was expressed that despite AAT’s and other submissions on the Draft Plan, aircraft including helicopters will be allowed into the TWWHA for commercial purposes. Concern was also expressed at the lack of transparency of the EOI process from commercial interests using what is public land, and

diluting the wilderness experience of the many anglers who walk into these areas.

Parks to be contacted to explain the management process and what environmental studies are being done to determine the impact of any proposals.

 

Lake St Clair boat ramp

A submission for an upgraded boat ramp from the Southern Highlands Progress Association was tabled along with a letter of support from AAT

 

Boating Proposals for Penstock and Little Pine

The proposals which have previously been agreed were tabled. The implementation of the proposals will be done in time for the 2017/18 season

 

Stickers

A quote for single colour AAT bumper stickers was tabled –

500      stickers $560 + GST

1000    stickers $710 + GST

2500    stickers $1070 + GST

It was suggested that other quotes be obtained before  a decision is made

 

Junior Angling Day 15 Oct 2017

Junior Angling Day to coincide with Gone Fishing Day on 15 Oct 2017

 

Trout Weekend 20/21 May 2017

Planning to start now –

Contact Telstra about their involvement

World FF Championships to have a presence

 

Hydro Recreation App

M Crosse reported on a meeting at Hydro to develop this app

 

Leven River willow removal

D Edwards reported that this project, funded by the Cradle Coast NRM, is about to start with John Broomby co-ordinating the project.

 

Grant submission for toilets at Penstock and Bronte

The grant submission for this project was tabled

 

 

Correspondence

Masters Games  

Entry forms now available and M Crosse gave a rundown on the logistics of organising such an event. A Hope suggested using the webcams to publicise the event.

Weed Removal 

Terry Byard reported on the recent ragwort removal working bee on Great Lake and raised the possibility of working with 4WD Clubs on future projects.

Forest Tas Draft High Conservation Value Assessment and Management Plan was tabled.

VHF on Highland Lakes

This should be promoted on AAT website with advice on use and suitable receiver/transmitters, sched times etc

Fishing/camping on Lake King William

Letter from Parks was tabled explaining that a Parks pass is required to access the area since Lake King William was gazetted as a National Park in 2013.

 

General Business

Mersey Forth

J Broomby reported on meetings of the Mersey Forth Recreation Committee .  Still awaiting Hydro’s decision on the allowable use of Paloona.

Lake Lea

C Thompson reported that the boat ramp needs attention to be usable and stop damage to Lake. Camping sites are not enough camping sites and this needs review by Parks

IFS

J Diggle reported that –

Hydro has some Community Grants available

Brushy Lagoon has some bridge closure but is still accessible by vehicle

Terry Hayes  informed the meeting that Penguin Anglers Club meets the first Mon of the month and welcomes visitors.

 

ACTION LIST

 

AAT Executive  AAT Strategy Plan for next 3-5 years and funding requests for initiatives

MC/GF  Organise meeting with Guy Barnett, IFS, Tourism Tas

Strategic Plan and budget needs for next 3 years

Publicity material for Parliament and Trout Weekend presentation

DE/TB    Contact list

Boating proposals to IFS

DE/GF    Post list of members of the HOF on AAT website

DE        Letter to Minister Barnett requesting carp program funding extension

Invite Telstra to Trout Weekend

Contact Parks to explain management of TWWHA

VHF information on website

 

NEXT MEETING  10am Sunday 28 May 2017 

AAT Minutes – General Meeting Feb 2017 2017-07-19T19:32:45+00:00