Mike Stevens AFTA Chair, Terry Byard STLAA Vice Chair, Malcolm Crosse Exec committee, Gary France TGALT Exec committee, John Diggle IFS, John Broomby Northern Forum, Norm Cribbin STLAA, Adrian Hope TFFA, Leroy Tirant AFTA, Michael Caminada Indep North, Charles and Sheryl Thompson NWFA, Denis Edwards Exec Assistant.
Greg Peart, Alan Gordon, Roger Butler
Minutes of previous meeting
Motion: “to accept the minutes of the meeting held 14 October 2012 “
Moved Terry Byard. Seconded John Broomby. Carried
Disappointing response to an AAT co-ordinated Clean Up Australia Day
effort. STLAA responded and are doing the Derwent River from Granton to New Norfolk and some other clubs are doing their own thing.
Inland Fisheries Report
John Diggle reported on IFS activity
Stocking – current stocking charts were tabled.
Mersey River – Neil Morrow thinks this is perhaps the best access project yet. On time and due for completion this March.
Fergus – Walking track construction is about to start.
Derwent River – scheduled for next year.
Future projects – may concentrate on key access points eg St Patricks, South Esk, the north east etc rather than big projects. Any suggestions would be welcome.
There has been a major influx of cormorants following two wet seasons. This last occurred in the late 70’s and took until the mid 80’s for waters to recover. IFS is carrying out electrofishing surveys
in the Leven, Tyenna, Russell, Mersey, St Patricks and Meander Rivers to establish historically comparative fish population
Definition of “ Bait “ being looked at.
Lake Leake trolling regs to be changed
Five year licences available from next year
Craigbourne – fishing from the dam wall to be regulated
Lake King William to be a year round fishery
Lagoon of Islands to be removed from publications as a fishery
A “ Financial Management and Audit Amendment Act ” is to be tabled in Parliament which could result in Treasury control of all IFS monies.
The IFS will seek an exemption order from this legislation.
It was resolved that the AAT should be aware of any opportunities for submissions , meet with the Minister and lobby to ensure that the IFS retains not only its investments but also its autonomy.
The dry/wet cycle has seen an increase in recruitment and as a consequence a decrease in fish size.
The IFS is considering controls on some spawning creeks to manage this problem. The meeting resolved that this would be a good approach and should be done as soon as the necessary Hydro approvals are in place.
Submissions received on proposed boating recommendations were predominately in favour, with the boating zones, means of marking and wading impact being the most important issues.
The proposal will go forward as a recommendation to anglers ( for the coming season) rather than a regulation.
In the light of declining fish numbers, a discussion on the management of the Four Springs fishery took place. It was resolved that AAT write to clubs to seek their views ,
ie Existing regulations ok ? Sport fishery ? Trophy fishery ?
Reduce size limit ? More stocking ? etc
The IFS is investigating the rehabilitation of Shannon Lagoon as a
possible project. Turbidity is a major problem and to stabilise the
system the possibility of raising the Lagoon level, wind control
measures and the use of an automatic pump from the Great Lake
outlet will be investigated.
Parks Ranger on the plateau
AAT letter to Minister for Parks and Wildlife was tabled that expressed anglers concerns that for the first time in many decades there is no Parks and Wildlife representation on the plateau.
AAT will email clubs with Ministers contact details to lobby Minister.
Weed management on the plateau
Kathy Hean from Whispering Landscapes gave a very informative presentation on weed control on and around the plateau.The main invasive weeds are Ragwort, English Broom, Gorse and Mullein.
Volunteers are needed and would be very welcome for the Interlaken and the Great Lake areas ; the Bronte anglers have already had a successful working bee.
It was suggested that plant ID cards could be included in angler licence renewals and that photos be posted on the AAT website to assist with identification of problem sites.
AAT to investigate a Landcare Grant Application for specific control programs.
Thanks was expressed to Kathy for the presentation and sharing her vision of a weed free plateau.
Malcolm Crosse reported on NRM South’s launch of boot cleaning stations in key remote locations to protect the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area and associated wildlife.
John Broomby tabled a letter from James W Lyne with photos documenting the huts sad state of repair and suggesting that the hut be relocated to the causeway where it would be better used and more easily maintained. This work would be done by volunteers at no cost to Parks and Wildlife.
John Broomby moved that “AAT write to Parks and Wildlife to support the proposal ”. Seconded by Gary France and supported by the meeting.
Malcolm Crosse reported that with seven cameras up and running the webcam installation project has been completed successfully, on time and within budget.
The webcams have proved very popular, with Gary France reporting that the AAT website has had 1,600 visits over the last month.
Issues to be addressed are –
Image loading time, clarity tuning , etc
Arthurs Lake camera is old technology and to be replaced
Phone app possibility and cost / benefit
Maintenance and running costs
Sponsorship – Telstra Countrywide have expressed interest
– MAST to give $12,000
– other ?
Press release to be done
Pirate webcams have been locked out, with all visits now through
the AAT website.
Adrian Hope suggested AAT write a letter of appreciation to Malcolm for his incredible efforts in making this project a reality.
Mike Stevens and IFS to meet with Tasmanian Irrigation to discuss
some concerns with this scheme.
Some turbidity issues have been reported above Fingal around
Evercreech and in the Clarendon/Simmons Plains area; the DPIPWE
have been notified , have taken samples, and will report the results to
Subject to these results the AAT may look at the broader aspects of
water quality of run off from irrigation and turbid discharge from farm
holding dams etc.
Terry Byard reported the complex arrangements Hydro has in place
to manage drawdowns from Arthurs for the Midlands Water Scheme (MWS)
• MWS irrigation outlet is 947.5 ASL (much the same as the lake level reduced to 2009 )
• Pumping to Great Lake ceases when Arthurs Lake level falls below 949.0 ASL as per IFS/Hydro MOU
• If Great Lake level is below 1023.0 ASL then this aspect of the MOU does not apply.
• Lake River irrigators have negotiated a 50,000 ML annual allocation as a trade-off for the loss of their uncapped rights on the Lake River. The extra water over and above their current historical usage of approx. 20,000 ML per year will come from Poatina. Note: this increase will occur over time.
The Habitat Fund (some $50-60,000) will be transferred from the trustees to the IFS and put in a separate account.
Rowallan boat ramp
John Broomby reported that the ramp is difficult to use, especially at low levels when the steepness makes it very difficult to see your boat. Also there are some nuisance rocks in the vicinity of the boat ramp. AAT to write to MAST.
The NWFA reported that Parks and Wildlife are being over- zealous with
the control of this area. Complaints include denying boat access, locking gates and one ranger refusing to identify himself.
John Diggle will clarify land tenure and jurisdiction issues, AAT to write to Parks with complaints.
NWFA reported that fish screens have been removed allowing fish to escape. IFS will follow up.
NWFA expressed concern that the method used to remove willows (without replacement native planting) will result in erosion problems.
IFS will follow up.
To be advised.
MS Treasury/IFS lobby Minister
Kerrisons Hut lobby Minister
IFS Lake Lea land tenure/controls
Lake Kara fish screens
Gunns Plains willow removal
DE Four Springs, email clubs
Rowallan ramp, write to MAST
Lake Lea, letter to Parks
Ranger on Plateau, email clubs
Weeds, Landcare Grant, ID photos
Kerrisons Hut, letter to Parks
South Esk turbidity issues
Letter to Malcolm Crosse