sshelley_admin

Home/sshelley_admin

About sshelley_admin

This author has not yet filled in any details.
So far sshelley_admin has created 77 blog entries.

Arthurs Lake

Hydro have informed AAT that the earthworks that are currently being undertaken at the irrigation outlet are to allow Tasmanian Irrigation (TI) to access water down to 947.5 m, which is the agreed cease to take level. When construction was originally being undertaken by TI, water levels in the lake were high (only a few cm off spill), and as a result excavation works on the intake could not be completed. Water levels in the lake are now lower allowing TI to complete this work.

AAT Genneral Meeting 8/11/15

Present

Gary France Chair, Terry Byard Vice Chair, John Broomby Northern Forum, Howard Jones BOD Sports Anglers, Alan Gordon BOD Sports Anglers, Michael Caminada Independent North, Keith Symons Independent South, Denis Edwards, John Diggle Director IFS, Greg Carson and David Ikedife Hydro.

 

Apologies

Malcolm Crosse, Mike Stevens , Charles Thompson, Sheryl Thompson, Phil Williams, Adrian Hope

 

Water level management Bronte, Little Pine, Penstock and St Clair Lagoons

Prior to addressing anglers concerns of fluctuating water levels of the above waters, Greg Carson and David Ikedife from Hydro indicated that Hydro want to have more engagement with anglers, and where possible accommodate anglers preferred water levels during the fishing season.

Some notes of opinions from Ken Orr, Bill Beck, Malcolm Crosse, Kingborough Anglers Association and the Tasmanian Fly Tyers Club were tabled and Greg Carson explained the operations affecting the water level regime.

Obviously the operation of the outlet gates is critical in controlling levels and it was suggested that they may not be monitored frequently enough, and that more frequent monitoring should be implemented, enabling the water levels to be more finely tuned and better controlled.   The Bronte gates will be automated in the next year or two and there is an opportunity for angler’s preferences to be incorporated in the programming and also to be used to inform the revised Hydro/ IFS MOU. AAT is to formalise its member’s opinions and submit these to Hydro for consideration by the end of November.

With the cost of automating the gates between $200,000 and $500,000 there are no plans to automate Little Pine or St Clair lagoons in the next 5 years.

Greg Carson warned of the dire shortage of water, with inflows over the last year being

half the normal and during October one quarter the normal, but all efforts would be made to keep the lagoons topped up.

The effort Greg and Dave made to attend the meeting was much appreciated and AAT looks forward to an ongoing positive relationship with Hydro.

 

Minutes of previous meeting

Motion: “to accept the minutes of the meeting held 19 July 2015 at Zeps Campell Town”

Moved: J Broomby   Seconded: Terry Byard

 

Financials

Financial statement was tabled showing at the 6 Nov 2015

AAT Westpac TRADING A/C 17-1550           $   8,112.78 CR

AAT Westpac GRANT A/C     47-7934           $ 12,311.01 CR

AAT WEBCAM A/C is in the process of being set up

HOF MyState A/C     727 3178                 $ 1,588.95 CR

The 2014/15 Annual Audit by Michael J Muller was tabled.

Motion: “That the Financial Statement and the 2014/15 Audit be accepted”

Moved: K Symons   Seconded: T Byard

MYOB accounting software has been purchased and has been kindly set up by Roger Butler.

The AAT business is becoming more complex and this will facilitate easier keeping of records, GST payments etc and will reduce the Auditors fees.

 

Inland Fisheries Service Report

John Diggle tabled the comprehensive IFS Report, which was well received, and it included the following —

Carp Funding

Low rainfall and low lake levels

Angling Licence Compliance

Whitebait poaching

Recent Biosecurity Concerns

Derwent River Spawning Trout Trap

Rare fish found at Woods Lake

Legislation

Carp Report

Anglers Access

Talbots Lagoon

South Rianna Dam

Farm dam stocking for Public Fishing

Licencing and Administration

IFS Annual Report was tabled

IFAC report

Fisheries Habitat Improvement Fund

Compliance

Hatchery and Stocking

Attendances at Club Events, Meetings and Dinners

Junior Angling Day

Terry Byard reported on the success of the statewide Junior Anglers Day held on Sun 11 Oct at Frombergs Dam, Ulverstone; Taylors Dam, Latrobe; Waverley Lake, Launceston and at the Juniors Pond , Bushy Park. Media coverage in papers, radio and TV resulted in good numbers of children participating (approx. 100 at each venue) and stocking of the venues by IFS ensured good catch rates.

The inaugural event involved a huge amount of work by Terry Byard with great support from Gary France with the assistance of the many volunteers much appreciated. It was felt that it should become an annual event with improvements as a result of feedback ( eg more toilets; schedule so as not to clash with the Bathurst motor racing weekend; etc)

Talbots Lagoon

John Diggle reported that access negotiations with Forico are going well and that this will be viewed by Forico as an important trial, before they consider granting access to other properties.

Four Springs

IFS is discussing disabled access with Forico.

Bushfest Bothwell Sat21 Sun 22 Nov

T Byard has site booked and trailer organised, DE to liase with Highlands Council and TGALT .

 

Webcams

Email from M Crosse reported that all cameras are operating normally and Four Springs camera will be upgraded with the original repaired camera, in the next month.

Fine tuning (including horizon adjustments) is planned for Arthurs and Great Lake cameras.

Future installations to be discussed.

More effort needed on securing sponsorship and it was suggested at the meeting that a phone hookup with MC,TB, GF, DE should review the matter.

 

Correspondence

Lake Barrington Email tabled from Kentish Council regarding vacancy on the Recreation Management Committee. John Broomby will step in to fill the vacancy.

Lake Sorell  Email tabled from David Toohey, President of the West Hobart Angling Club expressing disappointment at the continued lack of maintenance of the toilet facilities , the ongoing weed and rubbish problems.

Resolved that AAT to write to the Minister.

Russell River Email tabled from Geoffrey Swan detailing the degradation of the Russell River below the Huon Aquaculture hatchery, which he states is a result of effluent discharge, from the Huon Aquaculture hatchery, that persists despite a number of EPN’s being served.

There seems to be some doubt if a full circulation system is being used as claimed.

AAT to write to Minister and EPA.

Arthurs Lake water levels Email Dan van Holst Pellekaan tabled seeking information on the proposed operating regime. AAT have replied and this was also tabled.

Carp Funding AAT letter to Greg Hunt tabled seeking continued funding for IFS carp eradication program.

Forestry and Forico Emails tabled seeking stakeholder input to proposed derogation of pesticides. AAT position remains the same and submission to reflect this.

EPA Notification Procedure for Pollution Incidents and Fish Kills was tabled . Howard Jones suggested the information be put in a smaller format that could be put in anglers gloveboxes.

Mossy Marsh Access Hydro have agreed to a Licence Agreement to allow an AAT key on the boom gate giving vehicle access to the dam wall. M Caminada will consider a workable approach to key location etc

Lake Dulverton media release tabled

 

General Business

J Broomby suggested that in order to have a more active Committee any long term meeting absentees should be replaced as required by the Constitution.

A Gordon reported on the poor health of the Break O’Day River, the absence of mayflies and low numbers of fish

M Caminada reported the poor quality of water, and inedible fish at Brushy Lagoon

T Byard suggested that the Constitution amendment “ Independent angler representatives should not be members of or aligned with any angling club or group” be included in the agenda at the next GM.

The HOF ‘Management Notes ’and ‘Selection Criteria’ should also be discussed by the HOF Committee and finalised for submission to the AAT Exec Committee by the end of December to enable adoption at the Feb.GM.

M Caminada suggested that a thank you letter be sent to Hydro for attending the meeting.

 

NEXT MEETING will be on Sunday 21 Feb at the Miena Community Hall

 

ACTION LIST

Exec Committee   Submission to Hydro on preferred lagoon levels by end of November

HOF Management Notes and Selection Criteria

 

DE                                   

Bushfest arrangements

Letter to Minister re Russell River

Phone hookup to discuss webcam funding

Submission to Forestry and Forico re proposed derogation

Replacement Committee members

Thank you letter to Hydro                   

 

 

 

  

 

AAT completes a very successful Junior Anglers Day

The state wide Junior Angling Day recently conducted by Anglers Alliance Tasmania proved to be a resounding success. Held on 11 October at venues in Ulverstone, Latrobe, Launceston and Bushy Park, the event attracted strong interest from children accompanied by parents and/or relatives. Great numbers were reported from all venues with approximately 450 junior anglers participating. Approximately 250 fish were caught which meant that about half of the junior anglers caught a fish.

Anglers Alliance Vice Chair and organiser Terry Byard said that the success of the day was largely due to the great support provided by the local angling groups who managed and controlled each venue. AAT will undertake a review of the day and in due course decide if the event will be repeated as a state wide event in 2016.

Junior Anglers Day

Anglers Alliance Tasmania is co-ordinating a free State wide junior angling day on 11 October 2015. The day will feature a number of locations across the state being stocked with trout by the Inland Fisheries Service for juniors 17 years of age and under to experience the good chance of catching a wily trout. This day will also be a great opportunity for children who are interested in fishing but don’t necessarily come from a fishing family, to come along and receive some guidance from experienced anglers on how they might approach trout fishing. Bait and some fishing gear will be provided along with giveaways and soft drinks. All parents need to do is to bring the kids along between 10am and 3pm to one of the following venues:

11 October 2015

Northwest

Frombergs Dam, Bass Highway, Ulverstone
Contact: Craig Viney 0419 370 121

Taylors Dam (opposite Anvers), Latrobe
Contact: Peter Maloney 0419 871 131

North

Waverley Lake (near Waverley Primary School ), Launceston
Contact: Gary France 0418 875 001

South

New Norfolk Anglers Junior Pond at Bushy Park
Contact: Justin Causby 0439 737 144

AAT General Meeting July 2015

ANGLERS ALLIANCE TASMANIA

MINUTES OF THE GENERAL MEETING
10am Sunday 19 July 2015, Zeps Campbell Town

Present
Gary France Chair, Terry Byard Vice Chair, Malcolm Crosse Exec Committee, Mike Stevens Exec Committee, Sheryl Thompson Chair Anglers Hall of Fame, Ray Aitshinson Hall of Fame Committee, John Broomby Northern Forum, Charles Thompson NWFA, Bruce Gilham Corralin FFand Casting Assoc, Christopher Cohen Corralin FF and Casting Assoc, Howard Jones BOD Sports Anglers, Alan Gordon BOD Sports Anglers, Adrian Hope Tas FF Assoc, Phil Blizzard Tas FF Asssoc, Michael Caminada Independent North, Keith Symons Independent South, John Diggle Director IFS .

Apologies
Phil Williams, Roger Butler, John Smith

Minutes of previous meeting
Motion: “to accept the minutes of the meeting held 3 May 2015 at Zeps Campell Town”
Moved: J Broomby Seconded: S Thompson

Matters arising
>C Thompson advised that the Rosebery pontoon had been approved
> S Thompson enquired on progress with the Fisheries Habitat Fund
> The process of TWWHA Draft Plan was discussed
>C Thompson reported that Lake Lea negotiations with Parks are continuing
>H Jones enquired on AAT’s contact with EPA

Financials
The financial report was presented at todays AGM

Inland Fisheries Service Report
John Diggle tabled the comprehensive IFS report and this is available on the AAT website.
The report included the following –
Carp Funding
Developing the southern freshwater fishery
Opening of Brown Trout waters for 2015/16
Brushy Lagoon stocking issues
Compliance
Talbots Lagoon developments
Farm dam stocking
Protection of the Clarence Galaxias
River Derwent spawning trap
Tooms Lake fishery performance assessment
Carp update
Shannon Lagoon
Angler Access – South Esk , Derwent River and Talbots Lagoon
Recreational Boating Fund projects
Pumphouse Point access
Licencing and Administration
Hatchery and Stocking
Brown trout spawning run
Carp funding AAT to lobby politicians
H Jones inquired when Pioneer Dam will be stocked by IFS
Clean Up Aust Day, 6 March 2016, clubs to be made aware of the benefits

Webcams
M Crosse reported on the webcam installation, operational and maintenance costs review that highlighted the need for more sponsorship income for cameras.

Battery and antenna upgrades have been done where necessary and a faulty camera at Four Springs replaced. This has raised the issue of the need for a small stock of spare parts to ensure continuity of webcam operation, and it was agreed that to start this process a new camera should be purchased.

The possibility of showing all cameras on one screen to be investigated

Sponsorship possibilities were discussed and included –
Possible sponsorship for a group of cameras
Major and minor sponsors with major sponsor at bottom of image
Approach MaST for ongoing sponsorship
Possibility of club donations
2 year and 5 year sponsorships
Mainland sponsors eg The Fly Fisher
Equipment suppliers eg Scientific Anglers
Spirit of Tasmania

Clarendon Casting Pool
M Stevens presented an outline of the proposed $50,000 project at Clarendon on the South Esk which includes trout ponds for kids and casting, and anglers access to be done with Neil Morrow as part of the South Esk Anglers Access project.
Any donations would be gratefully received and it was moved by M Crosse that AAT could contribute $3000, this was seconded by B Gilham.
Other suggestions were that clubs could donate, and that it would be a great spot for a webcam with the Fly Fishing Museum as a possible sponsor.

Junior Angling Day, Sun 11 Oct 2015
T Byard summarised progress and outlined the following items that require action –
> Venue finalisation
> Briefing notes for media
>Advertising/ media campaign to include Southern Cross, radio, angling columns, website, facebook etc. Email all clubs
>Check insurances esp. for private waters
>Registration process : under 14’s only; adults to accompany kids ; information sheet for parents
> Fishing gear
Liawenee Open Day
Following discussions on the possibility of AAT taking on the junior fish out it was decided that it would be a big commitment, that logistics should be considered and that a decision should not be made for 1-2 years .
Location of AAT stand to be discussed with Mark Asplin IFS

Bushfest 21/22 Nov 2015
AAT/TGALT to share a stand and volunteers for the 2days needed.

Hall of Fame
S Thompson reported that everything was running smoothly and that the next inductions will be in 2017.
Sponsorships are being persued, budgeting being done and the Youl plaque is close to being finalised.
It was suggested that an honour board for paid personnel (unable to be nominated because of the selection criteria) be considered.
The notes on suggested operating guidelines and selection criteria were tabled and it was felt by some that they were too open and needed to be more specific.

Correspondence
TGALT letter tabled thanking AAT for their donation to the 150th Photographic Competition.
Hydro Pieman Draft Plan tabled and phone numbers for Adrian Hope and C Thompson to passed on to Hydros project co-ordinator Nicole Sheriff.
Tasmanian Conservancy letter tabled regarding the Clarence Galaxias recovery project on Skullbone Plains. Mike Stevens offered to represent the AAT.
Fishing Habitat Fund letter to Rae and Partners regarding progress tabled together with their reply.
AAT’s response to theTWWHA Draft Management Plan tabled
Telstra sponsorship letter seeking sponsorship tabled
Forestry 3yr plan tabled
Scientific Anglers fly line day fly tabled
Shooters and Fishers Party letter tabled , a reply to be sent indicating that AAT does not want to be involved.

General Business
C Thompson presented the streamside car stickers that the NWFC use.
H Jones raised the question on the jurisdiction of estuarine waters and J Diggle indicated that the Inland Waters Act can include estuarine waters.
H Jones inquired if the freshwater hatcheries operating regulations are being looked at and
J Diggle indicated that they are and that the Russell River as being made more fully
re-circulating .
A Gordon reported the very poor condition of the Scamander River and discussion indicated the cause may be lack of rainfall with flows causing a layering of salt and fresh water.

NEXT MEETING will be in Nov (date to TBA) at the Australian Fly Fishing Museum, Clarendon

ACTION LIST
Exec Committee Clean Up Australia Day publicity
Junior Anglers Day
Position on Derwent Valley Railway

MC Possibility of all webcams on one screen

TB Constitution ammendments

DE Invite EPA for November GM
Website updates
Carp Funding letter
Approach MaST for ongoing funding
Telstra sponsorship

AAT AGM July 2015

ANGLERS ALLIANCE TASMANIA

MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

10am Sunday 19 July 2015, Zeps Campbell Town

Welcome

Chairman , Gary France welcomed members and new Southern Independent Southern member Keith Symons

Confirmation of the minutes of the 2014 AGM

T Byard moved that the minutes of the 2014 AGM be accepted. Seconded M Crosse. Carried

Chairman’s Report

Gary France’s report for 2014/15 was tabled detailing the years activities and proposed future focus. He thanked all members for their contribution and support.

Financials

Because the AGM has been brought forward this year, the 2014/2015 audit has not yey been completed and will be tabled at the next GM. Balances at 17 July 2015 were —

Trading Account Westpac 037-009 17-1550 $18,483.48 CR

Grant Account Westpac 037-001 47-7934 $12,296.00 CR

Webcam Account Westpac 037-001 47-7854 $ 0 this A/C has just been

set up and will operate from the 2015/16 financial year

HOF Account MyState 807-009 727 3178 $1,288.95 CR

Election of Executive Officers

Three nominations for the two positions on the Executive Committee were received. In the subsequent ballot and the successful candidates were Mike Stevens and John Broomby .

The Executive Committee is

Chairman Gary France

Vice Chairman Terry Byard

Mike Stevens
John Broomby
Malcolm Crosse Project manager
Sheryl Thompson remains the Tasmanian Anglers Hall of Fame Committee Chairperson.

Appointment of Independent Representatives
Keith Symons was appointed the Independent Representative for the South.

General business

Terry Byard suggested that the Constitution should be changed to state that the Independent Representatives should not be members of or aligned with any angling club or group.

Meeting closed at 10.40 am