Minutes AAT GM August 2016

/, News/Minutes AAT GM August 2016

10.30am Sunday 28 August 2016
Man O’Ross Hotel, Ross

Present
Gary France Chair, Terry Byard Vice Chair, Malcolm Crosse Exec Committee, Denis Edwards Exec Officer, Sheryl Thompson Chair Anglers Hall of Fame, Charles Thompson NWFA, Dean Mainwaring NWFA, Bruce Gilham Corralin FF and Casting Assoc, Howard Jones BOD Sports Anglers, Alan Gordon BOD Sports Anglers, John Francis STLAA Delegate, Michael Caminada Independent North, Keith Symons Independent South, John Diggle Director IFS .
Apologies
John Broomby, Adrian Hope, Mike Stevens, Phil Williams.

Minutes of previous meeting
Motion: “ to accept the minutes of the previous meeting held on 29 May 2016 at the
Man O’Ross Hotel, Ross“
Moved: M Caminada Seconded: T Byard

Inland Fisheries Service Report
John Diggle tabled a comprehensive report which is available on the AAT website www.anglersalliance.org.au The report included the following –
Seasonal Outlook
Opening of the Brown Trout Waters 2016-17
Flood Damage
Carp Management and High Water Levels
IFAC Report
Licensing and Administration
Legislation
Penstock Lagoon performance
Native Fish Conservation
Tasmanian Inland Recreational Fishery Management Plan
Arthurs Lake pilot tagging project
Anglers Access
Carp
Hatchery and Stocking
Compliance Report
Club attendances
Mersey River Anglers Access closures

Matters arising from IFS Report
M Caminada queried the stocking of Blackmans Lagoon and JD explained there was a lack of fish this year but it remains on the radar.
Great Southern Water – JD reported that a feasibility study is being done on a proposal on the Esperance Plains.
Webcam sponsorship
Malcolm Crosse reported that –
• Over the last 12 months the webcams have been hugely successful, averaging 650hits/day with a max. of 3750 hits/day. On the back of these figures we are pushing the sponsorship wheelbarrow.
• AAT has been successful in securing a partnership with Telstra for 15 GB of data per month for each of 12 cameras. This is worth over $6000/year to AAT . The webcam site will be modified with the Telstra logo requirements and there will be space for one individual sponsor’s logo on each camera @ $500/year which will generate a further $6000/year.
• AAT has also been successful in securing $4000/annum sponsorship from MAST for webcam maintenance.
• Additionally it is proposed to put a Paypal donation box linked to an AAT bank account (free for non for profit organisations) on the webcam site. Moved: M Crosse Seconded : G France

Malcolm has secured, at no cost, some replacement gel batteries that will reduce webcam maintenance costs. They will be installed when the new Telstra sim cards are changed over.

Discussion was had about the possibility of a webcam at Lake Leake.

S Thompson moved a motion of appreciation for Malcolm’s efforts that was unanimously agreed to.

Proposed meeting with IFS, Hydro and MaST
This meeting will be on Tues 4 Oct 2016 to discuss the toilet project that should see a number of toilets in place for the 2019 World Fly Fishing Championships.
C Thompson suggested that since Tourism Tas advertised 20 odd free campsites around the lakes that they should be involved in discussions.
The boating changes, proposed by the AAT, on Penstock and Little Pine will also be discussed.

Discussion was had on an opportunity to fund and implement an infrastructure program that would have long term benefits for anglers, to be in place for 2019 and it was suggested that Guy Barnett be invited to an AAT meeting to discuss the possibilities.

Lake Paloona
A letter from the Mersey Forth Recreation Management Committee inviting stakeholders to be involved in a feasibility study of the Lakes potential for recreation including boating was tabled together with emails from J Broomby strongly supporting the proposal. The study would cost up to $20,000 and the Committee has requested contributions towards the study from stakeholders.
It was suggested that AAT contribute $1000 subject to checking safety concerns raised by the NWFA.
Anglers Hall of Fame
The revised Guidelines for Induction into the Tasmanian Angling Hall of Fame was tabled and discussion led to two suggested changes-
“Anglers Alliance Tasmania will invite nominations for induction into the HOF on a
bi-annual basis, and one or none of the nominees may be inducted.
“The nominees will be assessed against their accomplishments , both professionally
and voluntarily ie their acheivements and outcomes etc ”

Code of Practice
The AAT Code of Practice was tabled and its adoption was moved by T Byard and seconded by M Caminada. It will be posted on the AAT website.

Trout Expo
Now in its 12th year and is held on the weekend of 17-18 Sept with the Aust. School Championships on Mon 19th September.

Fly Tie In
This is a resurrection of the popular Bronte Tie In and is to be held on Sat 15 Oct in the Great Lake Community Hall. The contributors to M Crosse’s new book “Australia’s Best Trout Flies Revisited” will also be there.

Gone Fishing Day
Letter from Tarfish informing AAT of the Australian Recreational Fishing Foundation has organised a national Gone Fishing Day to be held on 16th October 2016 and seeking input from AAT.
It is too late to be involved this year but AAT will post details on website and inform clubs of the proposed date for 2017 so they consider it when setting activities for 2017.

Junior Angling Day 30th Oct 2016
Northern venues are Waverley and possibly Stonesthrow depending on some resolution between participating clubs Corralin, Launceston Anglers and Westbury on how to manage the venues.
North West venues are Hisketts, Frombergs and Taylors.
Southern venue is Bushy Park
AAT to do guidelines for clubs, trophies ,give aways , drinks etc. and toilets hire for Bushy Park. Media publicity to be organised.

Highlands Bushfest Bothwell 19-20 Nov 2016
Co-ordinate site with TGALT . T Byard to organise the IFS trailer.
Volunteers needed to man the AAT site.

Australian Masters Games
This will be staged on the NW Coast 21-28 Oct 2017 and will feature fly fishing for the first time in the games history.
It was suggested that the Burnie and Devonport Fly Fishing clubs should be involved and that Fly Fishing Australia could give support in organising procedures.

World Fly Fishing Championships Tasmania 2019
M Crosse reported that Fly Fishing Australia has formed a Committee and that he is the Tasmanian organiser.

Correspondence
Tasmanian Planning Commission Review of Draft TWWHA tabled and this has prompted concern on helicopter access to this area. Letters supporting AAT’S position from Glenn Delaney and NW Fly Fishers Club were tabled.
Hydro Tas letter on artificial galaxiid spawning habitat trial at Swan Bay tabled.
Forestry Tas Three Year Wood Production Plan 2016-18 tabled.
Derwent Catchment NRM email on their spring fundraiser on Frid 2nd Sept tabled.

NEXT MEETING will be on Sun 27 Nov 2016

ACTION LIST
Exec Committee Webcam sponsorship
Junior Fishing Day
Toilets Project
Boating Proposals Penstock/ Little Pine
Strategic plan for funding projects

JB/DE Paloona safety concerns

ST/GF Finalise HOF Selection Criteria

DE Website posts
Code of Practice
Trout Expo
Fly Tie In
Gone Fishing Day
Bushfest Bothwell

2016-10-27T17:25:54+00:00